The history of our buildings can be traced back to the construction of Hong Kong’s first reservoir, Pok Fu Lam Reservoir. When Hong Kong was first opened for trade, citizens got their water mainly from mountain streams or underground wells. As the urban population expanded, problems such as lack of clean water and pollution arose so the government built a reservoir in Pok Fu Lam Valley. The reservoir was completed in 1863, providing water to the people living in the Victoria City. The beautiful architecture of the reservoir and the related buildings are now declared monuments.
Our 3 buildings were part of the second phase of construction and were the home of the senior officers and workmen who operated the adjacent West Point Filter Beds completed in 1914, records indicate that the buildings were constructed before the completion of the filter beds. Today the three colonial style buildings are Grade 1 and 2 Historic Buildings. In 2008 they were renovated and converted into the Lung Fu Shan Environmental Education Centre.
The main building (classified as a Grade 1 Historic Building in 2010) where the exhibition hall is located was once The West Point Filters Bungalow, which provided accommodations for senior officers. Originally built with red bricks, a tiled roof and blue painted door, it is a classic example of the Edwardian Arts and Crafts architecture style. Some of the original fittings remain such as the fireplace at the present-day reception. Records show its construction ranging from 1914-1919, though some sources point to a construction date earlier than 1904.
The middle building was once workmen’s quarters, a kitchen, and watchman's quarters. It was classified as Grade II Historic Building in 2009. Utilitarian in design, the architecture is less sophisticated than the adjoining bungalow. Today this building is used for workshops and seminars.
The final building once served as workmen’s quarters and was classified as a Grade II Historic Building in 2009. It was originally subdivided into smaller rooms for housing workmen. The original brick wall still remains today and if you look closely at the door frames you can still see some of the original blue paint. Today this building serves as an office for centre staff.
(from left) House A, House B, House C